“Today’s emerging technologies are tomorrow’s distraction for human being and nature too.” – Anonymous quote
The smoke and fog are combined are termed as smog. Thus, Smog is a type of air pollutant. This kind of air pollution is composed of nitrogen oxides (NOx), sulphur oxides (SOx), ozone (O3), smoke or the particulates among others (less visible pollutants include carbon monoxide, CFCs and radioactive sources).
Health problems or hazards due to smog:
Smog is a temporary climate condition and it is not constant also there will not be any serious death rate in any country or state or area. So, let’s see what are the health problem occur due to smog?
Asthma is a chronic disease in lungs. The symptoms would be wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath. This asthma is a long term disease in a human body. Pollution in air due to smog is one of the reason for Asthma in many of the patients.
Alzheimer's is a type of dementia in human brain that causes problems with memory loss, thinking and behavior. There are lot of chances to get Alzheimer due to smog.
3. Low birth weight in pregnancy time:
According to a study published in the Lancet (general medical journal), even a very small (5 μg) change in PM2.5 (particulate matter) exposure was associated with an increase (18%) in risk of a low birth weight at the time of delivery.
4. Breast Cancer:
Recent studies are showing that smog can be major risk factors for breast cancer. In the year 2016, the Ontario Medical Association (Canada) announced that smog is responsible for an estimated 9,500 premature deaths in the province each year.
Prevention from smog:
1. Drive less on the road. Try to walk, avoid bike, carpool, and use public transportation whenever it is possible.
2. Take care of your cars. Getting regular tune-ups, changing oil on schedule, and inflating tires to the proper level can improve gas mileage and reduce emissions and avoid air pollution.
3. Fuel up during the cooler hours of the day/night or early morning. This prevents gas fumes from heating up and producing ozone.
4. Avoid products that release high levels of VOCs (Volatile organic compounds). For example, use low-VOC paints colours.
5. Avoid gas-powered yard equipment, like lawn mowers. Use electric appliances instead of gas.
6. Pollution masks while going out of the home or office/ schools etc.
In November 2017, Delhi was caused by smog. And smog will be there for 3 to 5 months only and not to worry too much. Smog in India is the first time happening in history where Delhi population 18.98 million.